Discrimination A Poison

Discrimination A Poison
( By Pragya Kumar ) 

Image By:- Darshika Singh

It was a devastating evening. I walked along with the whole city but couldn't find a place for rent. I had seen almost 15 houses since morning but I am not hoping for a call back from anyone of them. No all the houses were perfect accommodation for me but the fact that most of them did not want a Muslim resident. Yes, my name is Zoya Qurashi, I belong from the Muslim community. I own Indian citizenship and yet I am homeless. I have been rejected by a dozen owners & yet they don't call it discrimination. I just moved from Uttar Pradesh to Delhi to pursue my career in journalism. Despite the odds, it is me who is going through this discrimination.


Walking through the rallies, bearing the VIBGYOR flag over my shoulder I yelled the slogans of section 377 on 6th September 2018. But today struggling for a place for me and my partner. Passing through a metro station I was unknowingly bullied by a group of boys shouting "gay-gay" whistling at us.  Yes, I am gay and I am proud of it. Yet they won't term it as discrimination.



My profile on one of the matrimonial sites describes me as a Ph.D.  5'6 height girl with average looks and dusky complexion. One of the guys met me and questioned me about one of the deformities in the bio of the profile. I thought he wanted to know about the subject of my Ph.D. Rather he inquired that you mentioned a dusky tone of your skin but you seem a tone denser than that. For the information, I am a Ph.D. in organic chemistry. 



I came from a small town from the edge of the country to fledge my dreams to act. My dreams seemed to fulfill when I got through the audition for a big banner film. It took a few months for the movie to begin. After a while, my phone buzzed to inform me that I was replaced by a newcomer from a big family of the industry and yet again they won't term it as discrimination.


Clarence Thomas says, "Any discrimination, like sharp turns in a road, becomes critical because of the tremendous speed at which we are traveling into the high-tech world of a service economy". When the British invaded the country exploiting it to the core, DISCRIMINATION was first born in the realms of the country. Most of us ignore this evil by neglecting it or just not accepting it to be the same. 


I don't understand the pettiness of the people who themselves perform this activity and later yell the slogan against it.  With what audacity do they take this major step of being double-face publicly. How can we talk about secularism prevailing in our country when people like Zoya Qurashi are speeding the streets in the search of a shelter? Has the human race lost all humanity? How are they neglecting the fact that they too have the same blood running through their veins? They too inhale the same air as everyone else. Why is it that the girls are put to the sale for a boy to marry them? Why is color so important? Why do we cringe our face when someone discloses its identity? Why do we mock them or look upon them with sympathy? 



Honestly, I put forth all rhetorical questions that have answers laying within its dimensions. 

India stands on the pedestal constructed out of diversity and secularism. The thing that was stagnant and common among the above-mentioned examples was these people were untangled into the threads of discrimination. Knowingly or unknowingly they have experienced this criticism and ruthlessness of the society towards them.  


Apart from the holistic reference, the dynamic discrimination of education is prevailing in the rural areas of the country.  Rural India faces majorly discrimination of education between the boy child and the girl child.  Where the girls don't get the proper opportunity to study after the age of 15-16 and some are even devoid of this. 



Theoretical speaking,  it is the most underrated and neglected "crime" because it was not taken seriously primarily now has resulted in a major issue forcing these people to fight for themselves and ended up making it a movement to fight in this vicious society. 



Disclaimer:-

The opinions expressed in this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of Light de Literacy and LDL does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.







Comments

Some Popular Posts

Will there be the End of Mother Earth?

Child Labor No Time No Play

Why recycling should be necessary?

How to Stop Wasting Water?

Role of Organic Farming

Elder Abuse - A Curse